Saturday, December 6, 2008

TIS THE SEASON

It’s that time of year – a time when people who aren’t religious at all find that their faith is now extremely important and they MUST have a nativity scene on the County Court lawn. A time when companies who don’t do anything religious any other time of the year now find they simply MUST send out holiday cards and/or gifts, they simply MUST put up a tree in a public area. A time when people who don’t help the homeless any other time of the year are asking for canned goods for various programs.

This is the time of the year, this is the holiday season, when those who would NEVER EVER think of committing terrorist acts in the name of religion (like the various Islamic nations), would never go to war over sacred ground (like the Palestinians and Israelis), get all aggressive about what they must be allowed to do, must have and what YOU must have too.

If I’ve heard it once, I’ve heard it thousands of times: say “Merry Christmas not Happy Holidays.” Why? Why this time of year, the time when they MUST show their religious fervor and YOU must not only allow it, but align yourself with it.

Do I insist on a tabernacle (temporary dwelling) being assembled on the County Court lawn during the Feast of Tabernacles? Do I insist they all put blood on their doors at Passover? Of course not. I do ask that you allow me to observe my faith freely and I am willing to offer the same to you.

Let’s be clear – I believe with all my heart that you are wrong, that Christmas is a pagan holiday, and that God is NOT happy with your show of lights, decorated trees and gift buying. I KNOW He is not happy with the trampling of innocent Wal-Mart workers just for first right to some deeply discounted toy or electronics.

I’m not stupid. I realize you believe with all your heart that I am wrong.
However, the thing that is supposed to separate the USA from all these other warring nations is our openness about religion. I am willing to gather canned goods for the needy this time of the year or any other. I am willing to accept it if you want to say “Merry Christmas” to me. I understand that is important to you, but you don’t have a right to command me to say it back or even “Happy Holidays.” I will say “thank you” because being polite knows no season. I do eat cookies even if they are shaped like bells, snowmen or wreaths.

Not all my non-Christmas-keeping fellows feel the same way. Some will, some won’t go to the company Christmas party. Some will, some won’t sign holiday cards if they don’t have the word Christmas on them. Some will, some won’t eat those cookies.

But (to my fellow non-believers) we do all have the responsibility of setting a good example. Just because others get all aggressive about their faith this time of the year doesn’t mean that we have the right to stop being polite, patient and kind. The receptionist who asks for the 5th year in a row if you will sign the holiday cards is just doing her job and warrants only a polite “no thank you” unless she asks you to explain why. At that time, she deserves a polite and direct explanation.

Jesus said “do unto others as you would have others do unto you.” He did not say to return behavior in kind. I believe He isn’t happy about Christmas and finds it offensive. I do not believe He is pleased with ugly, rude or angry responses to those ignorant of the truth.

One of the things I hate about Christmas is the rude behavior and frenzied buying it encourages. For people who frequently say “put Christ back in Christmas” I still see the behavior getting worse every year. For that reason alone, I would not ask a Christmas keeper about his/her faith.

The question for me, and all others of similar faith, becomes then “is my behavior this time of year encouraging others to ask about my faith or is it turning them off to it?”

Tis the season to let your like shine to this dark world – not with lights and presents and parties, but with true love shown, with kindness, patience and politeness, even in the face of religious aggression by those who need to know the truth.

Love,
Nancy